Thursday, 26 February 2015

Designs in Flowers

It's probably why I worked at a garden centre for the last three years, my love of plants and flowers. I also love delicate, crochet lace flowers. I've seen some absolutely incredible floral designs all over Pinterest, Etsy, and the rest of the internet. Most are made with either Japanese or Irish crochet techniques (although I believe most of the hyper-realistic ones are Japanese)

But I noticed a distinctive lack in designs for my favourite flower, Fuschias.

I actually have three favourite flowers: Bleeding Hearts, Phalaenopsis Orchids, and Fuchsias.

Bleeding Hearts (Dicentra) have been my favourite since I was a little girl. My grandma used to have
http://www.perennials.com/plants/dicentra-spectabilis.html
Dicentra spectabilis

a huge half-whiskey barrel planter filled with the most gorgeous Bleeding Hearts, and I have had them in my own gardens ever since I moved out of my parents home. They are an easy, beautiful perennial to grow, but unfortunately I just don't know how well they would translate into crochet. I've seen some designs that I like, others that kind of look like a crochet kidney. The fact that patterns already exist for the flower actually makes me less interested in designing my own.

https://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=217
Phalaenopsis Orchids
Orchids, well, there's plenty of patterns out there for those and eventually I'll probably figure out my own way to make them too. But because they are so plentiful online, it's not really piquing my interest.

https://www.provenwinners.com/plants/fuchsia/dark-eyes-trailing-fuchsia-fuchsia-hybrid
Fuchsia 'Dark Eyes'
Fuchsias, on the other hand, make spectacular earrings and pendants. And they've always kind of looked like the flower equivalent of dancing fairies to me. So pretty. I've grown Fuschias in every garden I've ever had. They, like Bleeding Hearts, just seem precious and delicate and interesting to me. Also, they grow very well in the shade and I've got a big tree in my backyard that's just throwing shade everywhere. And, surprisingly, I found very little representation for them as a crochet pattern online.

So I made up my own pattern, combining a few other patterns and modifying it to have the look I wanted. At the time, I only had a small selection of colours that would really work for Fuschia's, so rather than go for my favourite colour of Fuchsia, Blue Eyes, I went for something more like Windchimes - pink outter petals with a white centre. And here's the end result!



These pictures REALLY do not do these delicate little flowers enough justice. I snapped them quickly with my phone, just so I could throw a pic on my Instagram. The picture on the left is not a completed fuchsia earring, obviously. The pic on the right is me, wearing the first pair, finished and beaded up with some glass seed beads and howlite chips. I've been wearing them around for a few days now, and they've definitely been getting attention! I'm so excited for these, I even bought some new thread in purple, so I can make the Blue Eyes variant! Definitely going to be a few pairs up in the shop in the next couple of days, after I take some better pics!


1 comment:

  1. These are BEAUTY! :D Great job! Definitely looking forward to the Blue Eyes variant. <3

    ReplyDelete